Homeworks are an important aspect of cognitive behavioral therapy. It aims to get and give information with homework in the initial sessions while also transfering these skills into everyday life. Many studies indicated that patients who adapt and regularly doing their homework showed more improvement than patients who do not. In addition, studies show that homework is an important factor for the effectiveness of therapy.
It has a positive impact on the results of treatment. For this reason, it is important that therapists who working with the techniques of cognitive behavioral therapy to know details related to application of homeworks. And to apply the techniques in right time and in the correct way. The aim of this review is to describe homeworks. (Which are particularly used in the cognitive behavioral therapy.) Frame, explain implementation of the processes and commonly used homeworks types. Also it describes factors which influencing compliance against homework, finally examined the effectiveness of homework in the process of cognitive behavioral therapy in this article.
Purpose of Homework inCognitive Behavioral Therapy
A book written by Beck and Tompkins (2007), also emphasizes that homework used within the framework of cognitive therapy had 6 main objectives. These are:
- Find practical solutions to problems
- Increase self awareness
- To improve cognitive, behavioral and emotional skill practice
- To reinforce the techniques learned in the sessions
- Test your thoughts
- Prevent recurrences. The main goal of all these homework assignments is to identify and change discordant thoughts by applying the new skills learned during sessions, as in the CBT.
- Hypnosis to Quit Smoking - November 3, 2020
- Antisocial Personality Disorder/ Psychopathy - November 2, 2020
- A New Method for Drug and Alcohol Addiction: EMDR Psychotherapy - November 1, 2020