Histrionic personality disorder is a mental disorder that personality pattern that is generally unknown to the public. Histrionic people have the belief that they should be in the limelight or gain the appreciation of others. Therefore, they exhibit behavior towards attracting attention. Although these people make intense efforts to establish intimacy, human relations are generally superficial. Their sense of identity is weak and they behave according to the expectations of the environment in order to adapt to their environment.
Histrionic people are people with high energy, over-expressing their emotions and lack of detail. They start a business with great enthusiasm, but they get bored quickly. They care about their appearance. Also they can spend a lot of time and big money to look impressive. In addition to their seductive appearances, they also manifest themselves in their behavior.
According to the DSM-5, for a diagnosis of histrionic personality disorder to be given, five or more of the following symptoms must be present:
- Self-centeredness, feeling uncomfortable when not the center of attention
- Constantly seeking reassurance or approval
- Inappropriately seductive appearance or behavior
- Rapidly shifting emotional states that appear shallow to others
- Overly concerned with physical appearance, and using physical appearance to draw attention to self
- Opinions are easily influenced by other people, but difficult to back up with details
- Excessive dramatics with exaggerated displays of emotion
- Tendency to believe that relationships are more intimate than they actually are
- Is highly suggestible (easily influenced by others)
Types of Histrionic Person
Teatral Histrionic; behaves according to the norms and expectations of the community in which they live and attaches great importance to their appearance. Clothing,accesories,going to a gym.
Childlike Histrionic; the tone and the gaze are childish. She feels an intense sense of addiction to others and therefore uses sexuality to keep people around. They complains that they don’t recieve love.
Cheerful Histrionic; it is high-energy and radiates joy. His thoughts are superficial and his behaviors are impulsive. It does not take into account the consequences of their behavior in the future. While being alive and cheerful provides advantages in some professions such as salespersons, their impulsiveness is a great handicap for finishing a job.
Soothing Histrionic; it has the characteristics of conciliatory behaviors and goodwill. They can easily give up his own wishes to get along with others. It gains appreciation from others by means of harmonious behavior and thus prevents the feeling of dislike and disability.
Turbulent Histrionic; Their emotions change quickly, are depressive, tolerate criticism is low, and gets angry quickly. They cannot tolerate deprivation. In order to gain interest, he / she may have health related complaints.
Intimate Histrionic; They can get in touch with people quickly. They aim to get rid of the duties and responsibilities with the intimacy they established. Those with a high level of psychopathy investigate the weaknesses of people with whom they have intimacy. Even though they seem well-intentioned and helpful, they are contrived and manipulative.
Last Updated on November 27, 2020 by Maya Hall
- Hypnosis to Quit Smoking - November 3, 2020
- Antisocial Personality Disorder/ Psychopathy - November 2, 2020
- A New Method for Drug and Alcohol Addiction: EMDR Psychotherapy - November 1, 2020