The process for creating a memory grid involves:
(1) finding a memory that is important to you. It does not have to be a traumatic memory, it could be any powerful memory, however short or long that may be. You could choose a single moment in time, or a period of your life that is important to you.
(2) Identify a set of colors that encapsulate the memory. You could choose colors based on their emotional meanings or based on the images you recall from the memory.
(3) Choose a medium to create the grid with, whether it’s acrylic paint, watercolor, colored pencil, etc.
(4) Create your grid! It’s up to you to decide the layout of the grid itself and the sizes of each of the colored boxes.
Memory Grids You Can Be Based on Your Choosing
Creating a memory grid can be a useful #arttherapy technique that can help you to visualize your memories without having to describe them verbally. While we don’t recommend creating a memory grid from a traumatic memory outside of a therapy session, this exercise can be used based on any memory of your choosing. Send us pictures if you create any memory grids of your own!
Find more about other methods that could help your mental health here.
Last Updated on October 12, 2020 by Marilyn Walker
- The Best 10 CBT Online Courses - November 29, 2020
- Amazing 17 Negative Automatic Thoughts List(ANTs) and3 Different Worksheet - November 28, 2020
- What is Manic Schizophrenia? – Symptoms - October 31, 2020