Sand tray therapy allows us to create our own little world using small materials (usually toys). This field is a reflection of one’s own life. With this reflection, it is aimed to solve conflicts, reduce anxiety and eliminate the existing barriers.
Sandplay therapy is a therapy method which is especially used in child therapy. Although there are similar features with Sand tray therapy, there are differences.
Inner thoughts, concerns and problems are exhibited in this miniature world. Sand box, toys and other small materials are used.
Both therapies are usually applied to children. However, it is also used in adolescents, adults, couples and group therapies.
Examples of Sand Tray Therapy
What is Mandala?
Mandala is a tool of meditation for many years. It means the circle holding the energy.
You can see Mandala in various ways in nature. such as ant nests, cobwebs, snail shells, trees.
Carl Jang used the mandala in therapies. Jung also benefited from Mandala to discover the unconscious. Carl Jung is also supports Sand Tray Therapy.
Sand play therapy
Sand play therapy is a game therapy technique that mostly works with children. It can work on all individuals over 2 years old. This technique works well with mandala. As we said mandela and sand tray therapy can be combined, especially for adolescents and adults.
Mandala and Sand Therapy
Therapists use sand tray therapy and latch together. Note that this therapy is not an art therapy, but has similar characteristics.
Properties of Sand tray and Mandala Therapy
– It’s a three-dimensional therapy.
– Feeling the surface of each piece (stone, sand) increases your awareness. Many sensory channels in your body open at the same time.
– If you have tried the Mandala on paper, it is easier to implement.
– A large container for the floor:
It doesn’t have to be perfect. You can let it with simple materials. It can be a special box or soil material. Most therapists use plastic containers.
You may have to order in private. Sand tray therapy works well especially in therapy with children.
– Other materials:
Small objects can be. Pebbles, stones collected from the sea, mussel shells, buttons, marbles, leaves, pieces of wood, flowers.
Tip: Kinetic sand is okay even though it doesn’t feel sandy. At least, you can prevent too much disintegration this way.
Sand Therapy and Mandala Application
Mandala motifs should be shown as examples. Then, starting from the center, it is tried to form a ring motif with small materials on the sand. A bar help on the sand can be drawn to work shapes.
- What do I feel now, what are my feelings?
- What are my goals?
- How do I feel?
- What problems do I struggle with?
How Therapy Process Works
- The client should focus on the colors, textures, shapes of the objects he has selected when completing the ring.
- It should be noted that there is no concern for art work.
- It should be noted that there is no “correct” choice.
- When selecting objects, the client can be asked what the selected objects are.
- Relaxing music in the background can be more effective.
You can find more psychotherapy information for children:
Child and Adolescent Psychology
- The Best 10 CBT Online Courses - November 29, 2020
- Amazing 17 Negative Automatic Thoughts List(ANTs) and3 Different Worksheet - November 28, 2020
- What is Manic Schizophrenia? – Symptoms - October 31, 2020